Scalloped potatoes are a real creamy delight! Prepare this easy, tasty, special, delicious and very versatile dish at any time of the year!
Potatoes are loved by many, they are delicious, very easy to cook, versatile and combine very well with different ingredients. Today we present you this elegant and delicious way of cooking potatoes, Scalloped potatoes!
WHAT IS SCALLOPED POTATOES?
It's simply potatoes sliced and baked in layers with bechamel sauce (there are some variations), cheeses and a delicious gratin topping; it's very creamy and delicious.
They can be made your way, for example you could add chicken, bacon, ham, different types of cheeses, etc. This is a basic and easy recipe which you can adjust to your tastes. It is ideal for sharing, everyone will love it.
Easy Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
The best way to eat delicious soft potatoes, topped with cream and grilled cheese. Join us!
Course: main dish
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1 White onion, thinly sliced
- 6 Crushed garlic cloves
- 6 Tablespoons all-purpose wheat flour
- 1/2 Cup chicken broth
- 1 Cup whole milk
- 1 Cup heavy cream
- 2 Teaspoons thyme
- 4 Pounds of potatoes, sliced
- 2 Cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 Cup Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the oil, butter and onion; sauté for 4-5 minutes until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes more until fragrant.
- Stir in the flour until well blended and cook for 1 minute more.
- Gradually pour in the broth and whisk until blended. Add the milk and cream, thyme, salt and pepper to taste; whisk until blended. Continue cooking for about 5 minutes more until the sauce thickens slightly (adjust salt and pepper to taste).
- Heat oven to 400°F and grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with oil (you can use individual baking pans or the one of your choice).
- Spread half of the cut potatoes in an even layer in the bottom of the pan. Top evenly with half of the cream sauce. Then sprinkle evenly with 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Top evenly with the remaining cut potatoes, the other half of the sauce, the remaining cup of mozzarella cheese and the grated Parmesan (you can add more cheese if desired).
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes at 400°F. Then remove the foil and bake uncovered for an additional 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Remove from oven, let stand 5 minutes and serve. Enjoy!
LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!
Did we miss any information? Are you excited to try this recipe? Leave a comment down below telling us your thoughts and what recipes you would like to see next.
THE BEST RECIPES!
Here you can see other delicious recipes to prepare and share!
KNOW SOMEONE WHO SHOULD READ THIS?
Share this piece with your friends across all social media platforms! Don't forget to tag @ZulayKitchen and #kitchenhappiness!