Carrot Cake with Protein Yogurt Frosting
We've been at home for so long, we try to reinvent everything that we learned in the kitchen. To help out with that, here is a recipe that can surely satisfy your sweet tooth without the guilt. Check out our this recipe for a healthy version of a Carrot Cake!
This delicious recipe is from our friends at Hayl's Kitchen!🏷 Course: Dessert
🇺🇸 Cuisine: American
🔪 Prep Time: 10 minutes
🍳 Cook Time: 25 minutes
⏲ Total Time: 35 minutes
🍴 Servings: 16 slices
- 3 cups Carrots, Grated fresh, 330g
- 1¾ cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour, 210g
- 2½ scoops Unflavored Protein Powder, about ¾ cup + 2 Tbsp about 70g, see notes for sub
- 3¾ tsp Baking Powder
- 2¼ Tbsp Cinnamon
- ¾ tsp Nutmeg
- ¾ tsp Salt
- Stevia Sweetener, 3½ Tbsp sugar worth (Use your brand’s Conversion Chart)
- 3 Eggs, Room Temperature
- ¾ cup Almond Milk, or other
- ⅔ cup Applesauce, Unsweetened, about 160g
- ⅓ cup Coconut Oil
- ⅓ cup Maple Syrup, Stevia Sweetened
- 1½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- ⅓ cup Raisins
- ⅓ cup Chopped Walnuts or Pecans
- 2 cups Greek Yogurt, Non-fat, about 400g
- 2 scoops Vanilla Protein Powder, about ⅔ cup, 60, see notes for sub
- Stevia Sweetener, if your protein powder is not sweet enough (Use your brand’s Conversion Chart)
KITCHEN PRODUCT USED
- Shred carrots using a grater or food processor. Don’t use store-bough shredded carrots.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, protein powder, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and sweetener, and stir.
- Add in carrots and stir again to combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg, almond milk, applesauce, coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and gently fold to combine. DO NOT OVER-MIX or too much gluten will form from the wheat flour. Few lumps are okay.
- Gently fold-in optional mix-ins: Chopped walnuts, pecans or raisins.
- Divide batter equally between pans and spread out with a spoon/spatula to smoothen the tops.
- Bake on center rack for 25 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean and center of cake is springy to touch.
- Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. It is very importat that the cakes are completely cooled to room temperature when you frost them.
In a small bowl combine yogurt, protein powder and option stevia sweetener. Stir until uniform.
Invert one cooled cake on a surface, spread ¼ of the frosting over it, repeat with the other 2 layers and then spread the rest of the frosting along the sides of the cake.
Top with chopped pecans or walnuts if desired, and serve!