Get your extra tasty dessert right here as we tried one of our partner's own version of Key Lime Pie! Enjoy!
This Key lime pie recipe originally appeared on Confetti and Bliss!
Key Lime Pie
- 1 unbaked graham cracker crust, chilled
- 2 (14-ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 5 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup Key lime juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lime zest (plus more for garnishing)
- Optional: 2-3 drops green food coloring
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar (confectioners’ sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
KITCHEN PRODUCT USED
Key Lime Pie - Crust and Filling
- Adjust oven rack to the center. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brush a COLD/CHILLED graham crust with egg wash (one large egg white whisked with one tablespoon water). This will create a moisture barrier for the filling and help prevent a soggy crust. Bake the crust in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes. Allow it to shed heat. Then chill it in the freezer while preparing the filling.
- Add sweetened condensed milk and yolks to a large mixing bowl. Whisk well until fully combined. Add lime juice, lemon juice, and lime zest to the bowl. Whisk until fully incorporated. OPTIONAL: Add 2 drops of green food coloring. Mix well. If desired, add a third drop.
- Pour filling into the crust. Smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Bake 15-20 minutes until the center of the pie is set. The filling will still be jiggly! Cool on a wire rack. The residual heat will continue “cooking” the filling. But refrigeration will make it firm.
- Refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours, or overnight. DO NOT cover the pie with plastic or the filling will stick to it. Instead leave the pie uncovered, or gently place a large, upside-down domed plate on top.
Whipped Cream Topping
- Chill a metal bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add heavy cream to the cold bowl. Start whipping on low speed. Gradually increase the speed until soft peaks form. This will take about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle in powdered sugar. Add vanilla extract. Whip until mixture thickens and increases in volume. Make sure not to over-whip, or your homemade topping will fall flat.
Garnish Key Lime Pie
- Spoon whipped cream into a piping bag fitted with a metal tip. Decorate as desired. Another option: place a large spoonful of whipped topping in the center of the pie. Gently spread the dollop a circular motion, leaving a 1 1/2-inch rim of visible filling.
- Sprinkle the top with lime zest. For an added touch, crown the pie with a spiral slice of lime!