Instant Chai Tea Mix Recipe
Chai tea has become one of the most popular drinks in American coffee shops! You see it everywhere: mixed with coffee drinks, hot, iced, and used in holiday specialty drinks! But chai tea has been around for decades, first gaining popularity in India before spreading out west. We've provided an easy instant chai tea powder mix that you can add to your tea over and over again!
The History of Chai Tea
There are legends depicting the creation of chai tea going back between 5 and 9 thousand years ago! More concrete history is that chai tea originated in South Asia where the native tea plants were used as medicine. The British occupation of India is when chai tea began growing in popularity throughout Asia and eventually Europe.
The word "chai" is Hindi for tea, so while it is technically redundant to say Chai Tea, the phrase has evolved to mean a specific type of tea (or latte). The term "masala chai" is another way of saying "chai tea."
What is Chai Tea Made With?
Traditionally, chai was made by decoction - boiling a mixture of milk, water, tea leaves, and spices. Typically the main ingredients would be green cardamom pods and ginger with a mixture of other warming spices (cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, vanilla etc.). Chai recipes therefore, can vary depending on what spices the recipe is calling for.
Homemade Chai Tea Mix Recipe
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Milk of your choice
- Black tea of your choice
- Chai Tea Tip: You can add or remove any amount of warming spice depending on your preference!
- Combine your spices to make your chai mix.
- Brew a strong cup of your favorite black tea.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of your Chai mix to your black tea (depending on how sweet you want it) and mix well.
- Froth 1/4 cup of milk until you get a rich, foam texture. Use the Milk Boss Milk Frother for best results. Top your tea with this layer of milk froth.
- Add a sprinkle of cinnamon on top of the froth.
- Chai Tea Tip: Try adding vanilla extract to make a vanilla chai tea!
Kitchen Products Used:
Use our Milk Frother for more!
Check out how to mix protein shakes with our handheld milk frother!
Let Us Know What You Think!
Did we miss any information? Are you excited to try this recipe? Leave a comment down below telling us your thoughts and what recipes you would like to see next!
Know Someone Who Should Read This?
Share this piece with your friends across all social media platforms! Don't forget to tag @ZulayKitchen and #kitchenhappiness!