Apple Brown Betty
Here is a classic recipe, with some updates and substitutions! by Marcia K.
- 5 cups cut apples, I used the Gala, but any baking apple works, Granny Smith, Pink Lady, to name some
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 cup flour - any flour will work
- ¾ cup monk fruit sugar substitute
- 1 ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp clove
- ½ tsp salt - note: if you use a baking mix, which would work, don't add salt
- ½ cup cold butter
- 1 9” pie pan or a 9 X 9 baking square
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Cover the bottom of the baking pan with butter
- Peel and cut apples into uniform pieces and place in mixing bowl
- Squeeze the juice of one lemon over them.
- My apples were not very sweet so I lightly dusted them with cinnamon and drizzled a thin line of honey over them
- Pour the apples into the baking dish and set aside
- Measure out all the dry ingredients into the empty bowl.
- Cut the ½ cup (1 cube) of butter into large pats and add them to the dry ingredients
- With a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the dry mixture until it looks like pebbles. You want the fat to coat the flour and sugar.
- Spread the sugar mixture over the apples
- Bake for 30 - 40 minutes until lightly browned.
- Serve it with whipped cream, ice cream, or just by itself.