Abgoosht (Persian Lamb Stew)
This is a family recipe, one that my husband took delight in breaking all my rules. It was surprisingly good. This recipe is awesome for the immune system, which these days we could bolster. This is basically a one-pot stew. The way it was made in our home, fits right in with all the other recipes for this dish I researched online. Each one is unique.
The recipe is given by Marcia K.
- 1 lb. ground lamb
- 1 small package chicken wings
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 can white beans
- 1 can green beans
- 2 cans tomato sauce
- 2 cans of tomato paste
- 1 ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 red or yellow onions
- 1 full bulb garlic
- 2 or 3 potatoes
- 4 cups raw baby kale leaves
- 2 tbsp. thyme
- 2 tbsp. oregano
- 1 tbsp. ground garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons turmeric
KITCHEN PRODUCT USED
Other Products Needed
- Crockpot or large stockpot
- Medium-size mixing bowl
- First, prep the lamb meatballs.
- Place the pound of ground lamb into a medium size bowl.
- Measure and sprinkle over the lamb, thyme, oregano, garlic, and salt and pepper.
- Mix with your hand to incorporate the herbs into the meat.
- Take a tablespoon and spoon into the palm of your hand and form the meatballs. Set aside.
- Rinse the chicken and put aside.
- Open all the cans of beans, drain, and rinse.
- Rinse the mushrooms, and baby kale, and lightly pat dry.
- Peel potatoes, and cut into 1 inch or so pieces.
- Dice 3 onions.
- Into the crockpot, pour tomato sauce, paste, press all the garlic into the sauce, add onions, turmeric, mushrooms, beans, green beans, meatballs, chicken, and baby kale.
- Stir lightly to evenly mix all together.
- Add 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar and stir again.
- Add about 2 cups of chicken stock to make soup.
- Cover and let slow cook for 4 hours.
- The broth is bright orange and blends amazingly well. It is strong and very fun to eat.