Tomato Pie Recipe
Tomato pie is a delight, prepare it to share with the family or for those moments of celebration with friends. This recipe is very easy to prepare, the crust is crispy and the filling features soft chunks of tomato covered with a mixture of cheeses and spices, my goodness! You have to try this tomato pie, you will include it in your list of favorite recipes just like me.
Definitely an easy meal for the family, you can fast forward many of the preparation steps and bake the cake 30 minutes before the family gathers to enjoy and share. Join us to prepare this delicious tomato pie!
- 6 Ripe tomatoes cut in slices
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 Cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 Cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 Cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 Onion chopped in small cubes
- 1 Teaspoon crushed garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 500 g Plain flour
- 250 g Cold butter
- 100 ml Water
- In a bowl, put the flour, a pinch of salt and the cold butter in small cubes, and rub with your fingers until it looks like breadcrumbs. Pour 100 ml of cold water, mix and join with your hands to form a dough; flatten with your hands and chill for 10 minutes.
- Prepare a 9-inch baking pan by greasing it with butter or oil.
- Roll out the dough on nonstick paper until it is large enough to line the pan with a little excess (about 6 mm thick). Use it to line the pan and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Place tomatoes in a colander in the sink in a single layer, sprinkle with salt and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Use a paper towel to pat the tomatoes dry and make sure most of the excess juice is removed. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Remove the mold from the refrigerator and with the help of a fork mark the surface of the bottom and sides of the dough. Place a sheet of aluminum foil over the dough and fill it with weights, such as dried beans or rice, to help hold the foil in place and the shape of the dough during baking.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 350° F. Remove the foil with the weight and set aside to assemble the pie.
- In a medium bowl add the grated cheeses, mayonnaise, fresh basil, onion, garlic, salt and pepper to taste; combine until well integrated.
- To assemble the tart, add a layer of tomatoes on the tart base, cover the tomatoes with half of the cheese mixture and repeat this step.
- Bake the pie for 35 to 45 minutes, until the cheese begins to bubble and the crust is golden brown. Let stand for at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!
Did we miss any information? Are you excited to try this recipe? Leave a comment down below telling us your thoughts and what recipes you would like to see next.
THE BEST RECIPES!
Here you can see other delicious recipes to prepare and share!
KNOW SOMEONE WHO SHOULD READ THIS?
Share this piece with your friends across all social media platforms! Don't forget to tag @ZulayKitchen and #kitchenhappiness!