Split Pea Soup
Split Pea Soup is a very delicious and comforting recipe that you can enjoy at any time of the day and share with your loved ones.
This recipe summarizes very well the process of making this delicious soup, in just 3 steps you will have it ready. In addition to the deliciousness of split pea soup you can add ingredients that will give you very delicious versions.
CAN SPLIT PEA SOUP BE VEGETARIAN?
Yes, using vegetable broth and omitting the ham which is totally optional in this recipe you will have a totally vegetarian and fat free soup.
WHAT PROTEINS CAN I ADD TO THIS SOUP?
Diced chicken goes great with this soup, as well as ham.
WHICH VEGETABLES CAN BE USED?
You can add potatoes, carrots, onions, celeri, chives, etc. these types of vegetables combine very well and give it a special touch.
There are other versions where you include creams and cheeses; you can even accompany this delicious soup with croutons.
SPLIT PEA SOUP RECIPE
SERVINGS: 8 servings
- 2 Cups dried green or yellow peas, washed and drained
- 7 Cups water
- 2 Cups chicken broth
- 2 Teaspoons parsley
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1/2 Teaspoon thyme
- 6 Cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 Celery stalks, diced
- 2 Carrots, diced
- 1 Onion, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Cup of leftover ham or diced ham (optional)
- In a large pot, combine the peas, water, broth, parsley and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook covered for 50 minutes, stirring constantly. (You can leave the peas hydrating in water for a few hours before cooking, this will speed up the cooking process).
- Add celery, carrots, onion, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper to taste (Note: if using the ham, add it chopped at this point). Cover and simmer for another 1 hour or until the soup is smooth and thickened; stir constantly.
- Discard the bay leaf and serve; you can add chopped fresh parsley for garnish. Enjoy!
LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!
Did we miss any information? Are you excited to try this recipe? Leave a comment down below telling us your thoughts and what recipes you would like to see next.
THE BEST RECIPES!
Here you can see other delicious recipes to prepare and share!
KNOW SOMEONE WHO SHOULD READ THIS?
Share this piece with your friends across all social media platforms! Don't forget to tag @ZulayKitchen and #kitchenhappiness!