How do you make mashed potatoes?
The mash potato is a simple but delicious side dish. There are little details that will definitely make your mashed potato the best and in this article we will try to summarize them all for you!
What potato is best for mashed potatoes?
High starch potatoes like Russets or Yukon Golds are the best for the softest, smoothest and most flavour-packed mash. The best would be to use a mixture of half Yukon gold potatoes and half Russets.
- 1/2 Kg of Potatoes
- 2-3 Cloves Garlic
- 3 tablespoons of Butter
- 1/2 cup of Milk
- 2 tablespoons of Cream Cheese
- Fine Sea Salt
- You can peel the potatoes or leave the skins on. Then cut your potatoes into evenly-sized chunks, about an inch thick. Then transfer them to a large pot full of cold water until all of the potatoes are cut and ready to go.
- When all of the potatoes are cut, be sure that the water line sits about 1 inch above the potatoes.
- Add the garlic and 1 tablespoon salt to the water. Then turn on high heat until the water comes to a boil. And boil the potatoes for about 10-12 minutes until a knife inserted in the middle of a potato goes in with almost no resistance. Carefully drain out all of the water.
- As the potatoes are boiling, heat your butter, milk and an additional 2 teaspoons of sea salt together either in a small saucepan, until the butter is just melted. (Avoid boiling the milk.) Set aside until ready to use.
- Return the potatoes to the hot stockpot, and then place the stockpot back on the hot burner, turning the heat down to low. Using two oven mitts, carefully hold the handles on the stockpot and shake it gently on the burner for about 1 minute to help cook off some of the remaining steam within the potatoes
- Using your masher, mash the potatoes to your desired consistency.
- Pour half of the melted butter mixture over the potatoes, and fold it in with a wooden spoon or spatula until potatoes have soaked up the liquid. Repeat with the remaining butter. And then again with the cream cheese. Fold each addition in until just combined.
- Ad extra salt (plus black pepper, if you would like) to taste.
- Serve warm and Enjoy!