Easy Christmas Gingerbread Cookies
Feel and Taste the Christmas Spirit With This Easy, Delicious, and Gooey Gingerbread Cookies Recipe!
Let’s get festive! This is the only recipe for gingerbread cookies you’ll ever need. Easy and simple to follow, you’ll capture the spirit of Christmas with these classic cookies. Decorate them while having a great time with your family and friends!
Remember not to over bake the cookies and let them cool completely before decorating. Don’t just use icing; get creative! You can use sprinkles, powdered sugar, little candy for eyes or buttons, and other decorations. Use gel-based food coloring if you like to use multiple colors for your icing. Express yourself with cute and fun cookie decorations!
Prep time: 2 hours
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 2 hours and 45 minutes
Servings: 30 - 32 cookies
- 3 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground gloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ unsalted butter at room temperature
- 10 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 ½ - 2 tablespoons water or milk
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt then set aside.
- In a large mixer bowl, cream the butter and sugar together on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- Add the molasses and mixture until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until the dough is thick and everything is well combined.
- Divide the cookie dough evenly into two parts and then roll each out to about ¼ an inch in thickness between two sheets of parchment paper.
- Transfer the parchment-lined cookie dough onto a cookie sheet and pop into the freezer for about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove the cookie dough from the freezer and immediately cut into shapes. Leave the cutouts on the parchment paper to bake on it, space them about an inch apart.
- Transfer the parchment paper onto a cookie sheet and bake for about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove cookies from the oven and allow them to cool for 3 to 4 minutes or until you can transfer them. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Repeat the process with remaining cookie dough.
- Make the icing once the cookies are baked and ready to be decorated. In a small-medium bowl, add the powdered sugar then add 1 tablespoon of water or milk, the corn syrup, and vanilla extract and whisk until they are well combined. It will be thick at first but keep whisking until it’s smooth and drip-able but not too thin.
- Add the icing to a piping bag fitted with a small round piping tip and decorate the cookies. Add additional decorations if desired.
- Allow cookies to dry then serve or store in an airtight container.
If you liked this recipe, here are a few others we guarantee you will love!
Give us your thoughts and share pictures of the meal you made!
Is there anything we missed? Are you looking forward to trying this yummy recipe? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below and tell us which recipes you would like us to share next.
Know someone who would like this recipe?
Don’t hold back! Share this recipe with your family and friends across all social media platforms! Don’t forget to tag @ZulayKitchen and remember, we guarantee #kitchenhappiness!