Chicken Pie Recipe
Crunchy On the Outside, Moist On the Inside: The Ultimate Chicken Pie Recipe
Ready, get set, roll! This easy to follow chicken pie recipe is absolutely mouthwatering. The crunchy crust and the soft chicken filling work together in great and tasty harmony. It definitely checks all the right boxes. Or should I say, all the right taste buds!
This dish is guaranteed to become a family favorite. Loaded with flavor, the combination of chicken and vegetables is heavenly. Most importantly, this recipe is simple to follow!
Chicken Pie Recipe
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes + 10 minutes to sit after cooking
Total time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
For the Filling:
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 leek (thinly sliced)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 carrot (cut into small cubes)
- 1 cup green peas
- 3 pounds of chicken breast (cut into cubes or strips)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the dough:
- 500g plain flour
- 250g cold butter (cut in small cubes)
- 100ml water
- 1 beaten egg
- In a hot saucepan over low heat, add the oil, leek, onion, carrots, herbs, peas, chicken, salt and pepper to taste and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the flour, mix, and cook for 3 minutes. Then pour the wine and boil for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and cream, cook for 10 minutes until the chicken is ready and the sauce is thick and heavy. Season with salt and pepper to taste, remove from the heat and let cool completely.
- For the dough, pour the flour into a bowl, add a pinch of salt and the cold butter. Mix with your hands until the combination looks like breadcrumbs. Pour the cold water and mix to form the dough.
- Cut the dough into 2 pieces: ⅓ for the top and ⅔ for the base. Flatten with your hands and chill until needed.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and grease a pan with butter or oil.
- Roll out the dough for the base on a nonstick sheet until it’s wide enough to line the pan. Once the pan is lined, spoon the filling and spread well.
- Roll out the dough for the top until it’s wide enough to cover the pie. Brush the edge of the dough with beaten egg and fold over the overhang and press lightly to seal.
- Brush the top of the dough with beaten egg and make a small cut in the center. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let sit for 10 minutes after removing from the oven and serve.
If you liked this recipe, here are a few others we guarantee you will love!
Give us your thoughts and share pictures of the meal you made!
Is there anything we missed? Are you looking forward to trying this yummy recipe? Share your thoughts in the comments below and tell us which recipes you would like us to share next.
Know someone who would like this recipe?
Don’t hold back! Share this recipe with your family and friends across all social media platforms. Don’t forget to tag @ZulayKitchen and remember: we guarantee #kitchenhappiness!